Chill Out, Dude!


Rob Cass (aka The Real MC) threw this at my face the other day//It's not often i get totally surprised by a chill artist anymore, because, like the whole beach/surf-rock upsurgence, there has been a lot of saturation. A saturation of shit. But that happens to every new trend, doesn't it? And it's always two or three years later. Noticed how much Electro is influencing pop music these days? As much as it must irk most of you, grab a listen to some radio-vibes sometime or flip onto MTV. You can literally hear the electro seeping through the miasma of awfulness.
Some people say that Chill has reached it's heydey and that the Golden Age is over; but it's every so often something just springs out at you - such as MillionYoung - that completely throws you off that vibe and renergises your batteries. Ducktails' new album did the same for me as far as psych/drone/beach-vibes go.

So, in essence, I'm saying there is a large bunch of shit in every new genre. But every now and then something pokes up outta the band-wagonism and says hi.

Craig Cruiser is defs for shore one of these.
From the first track - beautiful flowing watersounds and float-y synths over a lovely little picked guitar - I know this shit is going to make me feel pretty effin' sweet.
The second track is a cover of New Theory by Washed Out (one of the purported grandaddies - in blog years - of the Chillvibes) which is bladdy awesome. It's a cover (Hooray! Not a remix!).
It is nicely ambient, pushing the already downtempo big-beat vibes of the original down-BPM and losing the crunchiness of the originals pushy synths. Then Chill Out, Dude hits and my oh my it is an awfully fantastic song. The bassline gives me serious krills. Then the vocals give me double krills.
I think you know, if you like Chillwavves, what to expect from the rest of this record. Like said above, it is nicely ambient, and if that kinda thing is your cup of tea...