Duckt@ils' The Fl0wer Lane


I'm scared of this album. Ducky, as I and his close associates call him but Matt M0ndanile to most... well, Ducky is scaring me.

I've always preferred Be@ch Fossils over Re@l Estate for that laidback non-commital beachy-poppy sound. See, Real Estate have always teetered just on the edge of Easy Listening - just close enough to listen to and not be awful cheesy.
Yes, they're two quite different bands, but I kinda see them in the same light. I feel the same non-commital vibes from them.

Ducky has always been Matty's - let's just say escape - escape from the Real Estate vibe; it has always been way more experimental, noisier, more lo-fi, drone-y, all sortsa things.

Listen, my wedding song:


That is definitely going to open the floor at the reception. Hands down.
The desperation. The fear. The one boy shouting at the walls of his mom's basement, in pain and anguish.
Ducky has always tread beautifully on hundreds of emotions.
Whereas Re@l Estate have always just been... well, chill. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but Ducky always just grabbed me way harder.

He's better. He's the best. And sexy too.



Now, the problem is this: Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics was fucken sweet. Yes, it was. You know it.
That fucken song with Pandy where they kill the vibe? Yeah, THAT one.

Also Sprinter. ALSO: fucken Porch Projector. Jesus. I could listen to that for hours: almost nothing guitar lines laid with field recordings of fireworks and people cheering and talking and GUD TYMS, D00d.

So, yeah Ducky III was great BUT:
It was treading a dash too far onto Real Estate territory. And, now, what terrifies me is that this new album isn't just Ducky anymore, it's Ducky and a buncha other bros. He has a band now. It's not just Ducky. Granted, the sound is still mostly there, but...
THERE ARE CHANGES. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
[*runs screaaaaaming into the distance*]

Well, just DL it anyway:
[PASSWORD IS flowerlane]

HERE.

*YOU KNOW WHAT? JUST DL his PREVIOUS ALBUM, NOW, Duckt@ils III: Arc@de Dynamics


And then listen to these whilst you wait:
Please excuse the weird vocal sample. I have NO idea who put that st00pid shite there.
This is off Ducktails IIc30 [a cassette tape he made!]




This is the song he did with Pandy:


and this is Porch Projector: